The lemon tree is an evergreen fruit tree that is highly prized in gardens and orchards in warm to temperate regions throughout the world. Not only does it bear fruits that are used to flavor multiple recipes, but it can also provide enough shade to be able to plant some plants that need to be protected from direct sun, which would undoubtedly create a very special corner.
But of course, it is not enough to plant it in a suitable area, it is also necessary to provide it with a series of care to keep it in good health. Let’s see what they are.
The lemon tree is a relatively easy plant to care for, but several things must be taken into account so that it can grow and develop without problems. They are the following:
- Location : it must be kept outside, in full sun. It can also grow in partial shade as long as it is in an area with good light.
- Subscriber : very important to pay in spring and summer with organic fertilizers. It has to be alternated, since it has a great demand for macro and micronutrients. Thus, you can fertilize one month with cow manure , and the following month with algae extract fertilizer that has more micronutrients.
- Irrigation : frequent. During the warm months it has to be watered every 2 or 3 days, and the rest of the year every 4 or 5 days.
- Pruning : once a year, in autumn or at the end of winter, dead, weak or diseased branches must be removed. The suckers must be led to the lateral branch.
- Pests : It can be affected by mealybugs, aphids, whiteflies and leafminers. They can be prevented by treating with Neem Oil or potassium soap. In autumn I recommend treating it with insecticide oil.
- Diseases : fungi such as Phytophthora and viruses, such as the sadness virus . They cannot be combated, but they can be prevented, keeping the tree properly fertilized and watered, and pruning it using tools previously disinfected with pharmacy alcohol.
- Soil : it grows spectacularly well in those that are slightly acidic, but it can also develop in clayey ones.
- Hardiness : it is sensitive to intense frosts. Withstands up to -4ºC.
Have a good harvest