The natural is the healthiest. Surely you have heard or read this more than once, right? Nowadays chemical products, that is to say, synthetic ones, although they are very useful if they are used well, are very harmful to the environment. But they also have a side effect that you won’t be able to read about in any product: they don’t give the plant a chance to strengthen its immune system.
For this reason, I am going to talk to you about the use of pheromones for pest control , which is a treatment that will allow you to have crops free of harmful insects without the need to use chemical products.
- 1 What are pheromones?
- 2 How are they used?
- 3 Where do you get pheromones for pest control?
What are pheromones?
But first of all, let’s see what pheromones are. These are chemical compounds that are released by all animals, including insects, for purposes as diverse as warning of danger, marking territory, etc. They are very interesting to control pests, since they do not generate resistance in insects that cause problems for plants and also have a low environmental impact.
How are they used?
Its use will depend on what our objective is. For example:
- Detect insects : Pheromones are used that attract insects and a trap, which is where they will end up trapped.
- Avoid mating : large amounts of sexual pheromones are released in the area to be treated, thus preventing the males from finding the females.
- Catch and infect them: they are pheromones that attract insects and infect them with some pathogen (virus, fungus, bacteria) that they will then transmit to their congeners.
- Catching insects : Pheromones are used to attract insects to traps containing insecticides.
Where do you get pheromones for pest control?
We can buy these products in nurseries and garden stores , both physical and online. The price will vary depending on what type we are interested in and the brand of the product, but it is usually around 10-15 euros.
What do you think of this method of pest control?