When we are growing at home, whether in an outdoor garden or in a greenhousewhich as we saw is protected, it is important that we start by sowing the seeds in seedlings in containers.
This type of seedlings are recommended when planting vegetables such as: celery, onion, eggplant, pumpkin, lettuce, tomato, pepper, leek, cucumber, etc.
It is important that we follow a certain procedure to properly sow the vegetables in these seedbeds in containers. Pay close attention.
- The seedbeds can be made throughout the year, regardless of the time of year in which we are, however we must take into account the species we plant and the climate. We can make seedbeds at the end of winter, but make sure to cover it to prevent the plants from dying. The advantage of this type of sowing method is that while the plants planted outdoors burn due to low or high temperatures, we in the seedbed can take care of them in a personalized way and protect them from inclement weather.
- The containers or containers to use as seedbeds can be very varied, for example we can use yogurt containers, containers for making ice, flat plastic trays, flowerpots, planters, among others. The best containers to make seedbeds are flexible plastic cell trays and expanded polystyrene trays, since the seedlings, since they have no competition, result in a healthier root ball that will not be altered later when transplanted to the final soil.
- You should make sure to fill the chosen container with substrate. Remember that the typical and best mix is the one that is made up of 50% sand, plus another 50% peat.
- If the tray or container you chose is a tray of alveoli, make a hole with your finger in the substrate and put one seed per hole, if the seed is very large. If the seeds are small you can put between 3 and 4 seeds per hole. If it is not a tray of alveoli that you are using, you must spread the seeds and cover them with a thin layer of soil.
- It is advisable, but not essential, to cover the seedbed with glass or plastic, to try to keep the temperature higher and better retain moisture.