Compost is very important for all plantsexcept for carnivores since they feed on insects that fall into their traps. But the others need us to give them a regular supply of fertilizer so that they can grow in optimal conditions.
However, if it is the first time that you have one in your charge, it is very likely that you have doubts about when to start fertilizing the plantstruth? Well, we are going to solve those doubts so that, in this way, you can continue enjoying your pots and / or garden.
The plants must be paid throughout the growing season which usually coincides with the spring and summer seasons. In a climate where there is no autumn or winter properly speaking, it is usually recommended to stop fertilizing during the hottest months and less rain, which is when there are species that are left without leaves such as Delonix direction (Flamboyán) or Adansonia (Baobab).
Depending on the type of soil or substrate, as well as the type of plant it is, it will be more advisable to fertilize it with one or another fertilizer. To know more about fertilizers, we must know that all plants need significant amounts of both macronutrientswhich are nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P) and Potassium (F), as of micronutrients like calcium, sulfur, molybdenum, among many others.
The fertilizers that we find in nurseries and garden stores come in different forms of presentation: wands, granules, liquid or »powder». At the same time, they can be mineral, organic or synthetic. All of them can be very useful for plants, but if they are for human consumption it is better to use organic because they are ecological as they are decomposing organic matter.
What type of compost to use for each type of plant?
In general, we must use these fertilizers:
- Orchid: special liquid fertilizer for orchids.
- Potted plants:
- Trees and shrubs: if they are not for human consumption, any can be used.
- Bonsai: specific fertilizer for bonsai, or minerals.
- Fruit trees: organic fertilizers in liquid form.
- Palm trees: specific fertilizer for palm trees, and / or liquid organic.
- Indoor plants and flowers: fertilize with a universal fertilizer, or with liquid organic.
- Plants in the garden: to fertilize the plants and, incidentally, also the soil, it is highly advisable to use organic fertilizers in »powder».
Thus, we will ensure that they receive the nutrients they need.