Some of the products that we use in our day to day for domestic use can serve as fungicides and help us eliminate unwelcome microbiological attacks such as fungi. To make it easier for you, in this article, we show you which are the best homemade and ecological fungicides that you can easily prepare at home to treat your plants, both indoors and outdoors.
These natural fungicides will be useful against fungal infections in your garden or garden such as rust, powdery mildew, canker, leprosy, mildew, and botrytis. Use them as indicated and the brown and white spots on your plants will disappear, looking healthy again.
The best homemade fungicides
To begin, from EcologíaVerde we will tell you about some of the best homemade fungicides , totally natural and ecological:
- Rue: it is a medicinal plant whose extract has an antifungal function. It controls anthracnose, a disease that occurs in the form of dark lesions on both the stem and the leaves.
- Papaya: stands out for its fungicidal effects, which is why it is often used a lot in vegetables. It is very effective in controlling mildew and rust.
- Hydrogen peroxide: not only used to clean bleeding wounds, it is also useful against fungi, especially mildew. For this, 150 cc must be mixed with 40 liters of water and distributed throughout the plant.
- Onion: if used whole it has an incredible effect on the oidium, especially on young plants. It is applied both when the seed sprouts and when it is in the growth phase. The mixture is usually 500 grams of onion for every 10 liters of water.
- Thyme: in the same way as papaya, its active principle is capable of acting as a very effective fungicide.
- Garlic: the homemade fungicide with garlic is used in the form of an infusion. 75 grams of garlic are mixed with 10 liters of water and applied very early in the morning or when the sunset is over. Its action degrades with the sun and high temperatures.
- Horsetail: However, the most prized plant of all is horsetail. It contains a high index of silica and that makes it a great fungicide against fungi such as powdery mildew , mildew or rust. It is usually used as a curative or preventive way. One kilo of horsetail is mixed with 10 liters of water.
How to make a fungicide with milk and baking soda
These are two super effective natural ingredients against fungal pests in the garden and orchard. The bicarbonate has highly antiseptic and healing properties, to heal the lesions of the plant in which the plague is, and milk is a powerful fungicide, thanks to lactic acid. If you have these two ingredients, go ahead and try this recipe for a homemade and natural fungicide with milk and bicarbonate for plants . Very easy!
Ingredients for 1 liter of homemade fungicide
- 200 ml of cow’s milk, preferably skimmed because the important thing is the lactic acid and not the fat in the cream.
- 800 ml of water (soak tap water for two days or use rain or bottled water.
- 20 g of baking soda for each liter of fungicide that you are going to make.
- To start preparing this ecological fungicide, you will need to find a container of the appropriate size, in this case we will make a liter and we recommend a slightly larger container to mix well. Preferably, look for a spray bottle.
- Pour in the water first, then the milk, and finally the bicarbonate in the proportions indicated.
- Close the jar or container and shake it well so that the ingredients are integrated.
- It should be applied two days in a row and not just once. It is always better to do it at sunset, to avoid the sun burning the leaves when they are wet.
- It is also recommended to repeat the application once a week to eliminate the fungi completely, applying the mixture both above and below the leaves, covering the entire plant. On the other hand, to prevent a relapse once the plant has healed, it is advisable to apply the mixture every two weeks, until we make sure that there are no more fungi or in the soil.
The best homemade fungicides for tomatoes
Tomatoes are very common in orchards, and now also in urban gardens and even in pots thanks to the cherry variety. However, they are also one of the plants that is more likely to suffer from fungi, such as powdery mildew, due to the densest area of leaves near the ground.
- Baking soda
- Essential oils
- Compost tea
Homemade fungicides for fruit trees
Other of the most sought after home fungicides, especially by those who have large orchards and gardens, are the most effective for fruit trees. If this is your case, we recommend you try these natural products to combat fungi in fruit trees , very effective both in citrus, which are the most common, and in other types of fruits:
- Apple vinager
- Baking soda
- The technique of the absence of water, which is an ecological way of eliminating fungi in trees, but we must take care that it does not affect their growth.
Homemade fungicides for orchids
Orchids can be difficult plants to care for, as they are delicate. Therefore, it is easy that if there are errors in its watering and we allow enough water or humidity to be retained in its roots, fungi appear in this part of the plant and little by little they spread to the rest of the orchid. If you have this problem, take note of the best homemade fungicides for orchid fungus :
- Cornmeal tea
- Baking soda
How to make homemade fungicides for cacti
Cacti are some of the easiest plants to care for because they hardly need care, among which are a good location, with the right light, temperature and ventilation, a good and light substrate and some water from time to time. However, sometimes they can get sick, especially when they do not receive enough light and if we overdo it. That is when fungi can appear and, in this case, we recommend using an ecological fungicide .
Among the most effective and efficient ingredients to make homemade fungicides for cacti we highlight:
- Cinnamon powder
- Chamomile tea
- Milk or buttermilk
- Sodium bicarbonate
- Horsetail tea