If you have a garden and you want to take good care of it, you usually have to do some pruning and maintenance. Jasmine is a very critical plant in all gardens and belongs to the group of the most popular climbing and shrub plants for decoration. It is one of the most used plants to decorate walls and walls and it is worth learning how to prune jasmine so that we can always have a good decoration.
Therefore, in this article, we are going to show you when and how to prune jasmine.
When to prune jasmine
Within the jasmine group we find about 200 species of climbing and shrub plants that are quite popular to use both in gardening and in the field of decoration. And it is that it has a great beauty of flowers and a very intense, very pleasant aroma of some specific species. So that the plant can serve as decoration and always look beautiful and healthy, it is necessary to learn how to prune the jasmine.
The first thing we must do is analyze when it is better to prune the jasmine and if it is necessary to differentiate between the winter and summer varieties. For example, one of the most common jasmine that we can find in gardens is Jasminum officinale . Among the most common we must of summer jasmine that should be pruned at the end of winter when there is no risk of possible frost. As spring begins, there will be adequate environmental conditions for jasmine to survive well despite pruning . In this way, this warmer season will allow the wounds caused by pruning to scar in faster.
If it is a winter jasmine, it is advisable to prune it after flowering. Normally, this flowering occurs between the months of March and April. When it is young, jasmine not only needs pruning to stimulate growth, but it also needs it to give it the desired structure .
How to prune jasmine
Now we are going to analyze what are the different steps that we must take to learn how to prune jasmine. Make sure to disinfect all tools well before carrying out the process. We are going to follow these instructions to do the pruning correctly. There are differences depending on the type of jasmine we are treating.
They are usually the most complicated to carry out the pruning initially. And it is that their stems are usually very intertwined and together so it can make the approach of the base quite difficult. The best way to learn how to prune this jasmine is to start at the bottom and look at only one individual stem each time in order to complete the symmetry. It is interesting to prune branches that are too intertwined with the ones you want to keep . In this way, we guarantee that they can grow in the right direction. Sometimes it will be enough to untangle and orient well with the hand instead of resorting to contributing.
You should count everything that is necessary since if the jasmine grows in an unbalanced way it will need a more severe pruning to lighten its weight. However, the most normal thing is that this plant can endure without problems.
Pruning a bush jasmine
Those of the shrub type are simpler, but the pruning of formation becomes more important. And it is that it is the one that serves to form the structure, size and shape of the plant. To prune this type of jasmine you have to cut the branches that grow completely horizontal. Also all those that are born towards the interior of the plant . Of each bar with parallel branches it is interesting to leave only one. With this we seek that the plant can have a better incorporation of light by hauling. This triggers good ventilation that prevents fungal problems.
The size of the bush can be kept to taste. Everything will depend on the space you have available in the garden and you want to occupy with the jasmine.
Since it is a plant with a high growth rate, if you have a pot indoors you will need to prune them more frequently to keep their size controlled. You can choose to cut back to encourage the generation of new shoots each growing season. But you should always do it outside of its flowering season. For the pot it is important to prune the roots every time you transplant them. Regardless of the type of jasmine it is, maintenance pruning is used to remove leaves in poor condition. You also have to remove the flowers or fruits that have already passed.
We are going to give some reviews of the basic care that a jasmine needs to be able to grow in good conditions:
- Climate: they can adapt to a fairly wide range of temperatures, so it will not be a problem. As for frosts, they should not be exposed to temperatures of 0 degrees or lower. They do best in hot climates since they cannot bear frost.
- Irrigation : it is a fundamental factor in growth and maintenance. Do not overdo it with watering the plant. You can water about three times a week in moderate amounts in the warm months and weekly in the colder months. In the rainy season you can stop watering since the rain is enough.
- Lighting: in order for it to grow in good conditions, it must be given as much light as possible. Whether you have the indoor or outdoor plant, a lot of light is needed for the plant to flourish and thrive.
- Soil: As for the soil, you need a loose substrate that has good drainage. To improve the drainage of the soil you can add some sand. It can also be enriched with organic matter such as worm castings or compost so that it can help you in your growth phase.
- Subscriber : it is interesting to use a good fertilizer for your flowers. Specifically, you must use ecological fertilizers that are rich in potassium and nitrogen.
I hope that with this information you can learn more about how and when to prune jasmine.