I love green gardening, and I love saving as much as I can and more money even more, especially if the environment benefits too. One of the ways to get a garden that does not lack anything is to have fertilized soil. And how is that done? Very simple: placing all the organic material that we collect in the same place.
Do you want to know how to make homemade compost ? Well, wait no more, and keep reading.
If you have a large piece of land, the ideal is to make the compost in piles made in layers of about 20cm maximum. In this way, it could be said that nature and you will work more closely together. The perfect place will be one that has a slight slope, since in this way excess moisture will be avoided.
- First, dry twigs and bark should be placed in contact with the ground .
- Secondly, the green remains will be placed , which are rich in carbohydrates.
- Third, a layer such as manure , which is rich in nitrogen, is added.
- Fourth, it is covered with a layer of about 4cm of soil .
- Finally, you can add carbonate-rich materials to reduce acidity, such as eggshells .
It is important that, before placing another layer, you previously water the one you have already placed. Once the pile is finished, you should cover it with soil or sawdust. Water it from time to time to keep it moist and allow the compost to develop properly.
How to compost in a composter
If you don’t like it to be visible, you can place, as explained in the step by step, all the layers inside a composter . In a matter of a few months you will have a compost ready to use.
To speed up the process even more, you can purchase a compost accelerator at nurseries and garden centers, and use them according to the recommendations on the packaging.