If we think that it is impossible to have horticultural plants if land is not available… we will be very wrong. 🙂 In fact, although it is true that there are some that, due to the size they reach, it is better to have them planted in the ground, there are others with which we can guarantee a good harvest directly from the patio or balcony .
For this we only have to buy some things that will be essential to us, and follow these tips to have a garden in pots .
- 1 Get what you need
- 2 Seeds or plants?
- 3 Get “small” horticultural plants
- 4 Put your pots in a sunny corner
- 5 Take care of them with natural products
Get what you need
Before starting any task, it is very important to buy or make sure that you have everything you are going to need. To have our garden on the balcony or patio complete, we will need the following:
- Pots : both small 20cm in diameter and large 40-45cm or more. They can be made of plastic or clay, but if we intend to grow several species it is advisable to purchase plastic ones as they are cheaper and lighter.
- Substrate : The farmland must have good drainage and be rich in nutrients. Today we can get specific substrate for orchards in nurseries, which are already ready to use.
- Fertilizer : being plants for human consumption, we have to use organic fertilizers. Normally, powder fertilizers are used in the orchard, but in a pot it is preferable to use liquid fertilizers to prevent the roots from getting waterlogged, such as liquid guano. Of course, you must always follow the instructions specified on the packaging.
- Watering can and water : to water the plants it will be necessary to get a watering can. Another option, if we are going to have many pots, is to install a drip irrigation system.
Seeds or plants?
It depends on how fast and how experienced we are in growing plants . An envelope of seeds has a much lower price than a seedling, so if there are 20 units in the envelope, we can have 20 plants for only 1 or 2 euros that it can cost. But of course, they require more space and they also have to be cultivated and taken care of until they grow. The seedlings, on the other hand, can be worth about 30 euro cents more or less, and as they are sold by units, we can acquire those that we want.
What is better? Well, if you don’t have much space, it is preferable to buy grown plants , because you will know that with their size it is almost impossible for fungi to affect them, unless they are watered excessively. Sowing seeds is very good, but they take more work (sowing, pricking, final transplanting to a pot) and the seedlings are more delicate as they have less developed roots.
Get “small” horticultural plants
As we mentioned before, there are horticultural plants that, due to their adult size, cannot be kept in pots. Therefore, it is convenient that, to avoid unnecessary problems, we acquire those that can be grown in a garden in pots , such as lettuce , tomatoes , peppers , cabbage (in a very large pot) or Swiss chard .
If we also have an old tire, we can turn it into a pot and grow our own summer fruits, such as watermelons or melons .
Put your pots in a sunny corner
Horticultural plants need to be exposed in a corner where they get direct sunlight, if possible throughout the day . If we could grow them in semi-shade or shade, they would not develop well and it is likely that they would not produce flowers or fruit. In the event that we do not have any such place, we could put them in an area where they would be given a minimum of 5 hours of direct sunlight.
We will know if they lack light if we see that the stems are etiolate, that is, if they get longer and narrower, if they begin to have very light green leaves, and if the plants also do not flower or bear fruit.
Take care of them with natural products
In order to enjoy the authentic flavor of the fruits, it is convenient that we have cared for the plants with natural products. Currently in nurseries we can find very effective ecological insecticides and fungicides , such as neem oil , potassium soap , copper or sulfur. With these products, in addition to ” grandmother’s remedies “, our plants will be able to recover well from pest attacks.