Many times when we think of pineapple, what usually comes to mind is what is sold in supermarkets, that is, the pineapple itself. But have you ever wondered what plant it comes from and how to get one?
Well, you won’t have to ask yourself that question anymore. Next we will tell you what the pineapple plant is , what its characteristics are and much more.
- 1 The pineapple plant, a very decorative species
- 2 How to plant a pineapple?
- 3 What care does it require?
The pineapple plant, a very decorative species
The delicious pineapple that we eat in summer-autumn comes from this wonderful plant whose scientific name is Ananas comosus . It is a terrestrial bromeliad, native to South America that forms a rosette of leathery, lanceolate leaves up to 1 meter long . The reddish-pink flowers are a real wonder, grouping together in spike-shaped inflorescences that will remain open for a month so that they can all be pollinated.
Once its objective has been achieved, the fruit begins to ripen, which is a berry that eventually ends up measuring about 30cm in length by about 7-10cm in width. Inside is the pulp, which is yellow, with a sweet and acid taste, which gives off a very fragrant aroma.
Although it can be reproduced by seeds, the fastest way to obtain a new plant is by planting the pineapple. How?
How to plant a pineapple?
Follow this step by step to get it:
- The first thing you have to do is choose a pineapple that is fresh, with firm and green leaves .
- Once at home, you have to place it horizontally and cut the crown of leaves with a previously disinfected knife.
- Then let the wound dry for a day.
- The next day, remove the remains of the shell as it has a tendency to rot easily and mold, if it had appeared. The stem should look greenish yellow.
- Then, plant it in a tight pot with soil for acidophilic plants mixed with perlite in equal parts.
- Finally, water it and place it in a humid and warm place (minimum temperature of 15ºC).
What care does it require?
Taking care of a pineapple is not easy. Being a tropical plant, it is convenient that the climate is warm, without frost, otherwise it could suffer significant damage during the winter. For this reason, if you dare to have a pineapple plant, here we leave you its care guide:
- Location : place your plant outside, in partial shade.
- Soil or substrate : it must have very good drainage and a low pH, between 4.5 and 5.5.
- Irrigation : it has to be watered when the soil is dry, more or less every 2-3 days in summer and every 5-6 days the rest of the year.
- Fertilizer : during the spring and summer it should be fertilized with fertilizers rich in nitrogen and potassium once every 15 days.
- Planting time / Transplant: in spring.
- Planting frame : 30 x 60cm.
- Harvest : at 15 months.
- Rusticity : it is very sensitive to cold. The ideal minimum temperature is 15ºC, being able to withstand 5ºC for a short time.