It is becoming easier for those of us who live in places where the climate is too cold for the plants that produce it, to acquire tropical or exotic fruits. In recent times there is specifically a fruit, soursop , which has a very pleasant acidic flavor and can be used to make desserts, ice creams, drinks or jams; and that not to mention that it has medicinal properties that cannot be ignored and that we will now see.
But what tree produces it? And, most importantly, how is it grown?
Soursop Tree Characteristics
Well, the parent of this delicious fruit is a tree native to Peru, although it can be found throughout tropical America. It is a perennial or deciduous plant depending on the climate, which grows to a height of 10 meters and its scientific name is Annona muricata . Its leaves are oblong-elliptic to oblong-obovate, 6 to 12cm long by 2.5 to 5cm wide, and green in color. The flowers are solitary, appearing along the stem. They are composed of 3 ovate sepals and 6 petals. They are yellow.
The fruit can weigh between 2 and 4 kg , and has an elongated shape. The shell is shiny dark green, and is covered with spines. The pulp is normally white, soft and juicy, with an acid taste. Inside there are many black seeds.
How is it grown?
If you live in a warm climate, with mild temperatures throughout the year, and you want to have a soursop, take note of our advice:
- Location : outside, in full sun.
- Irrigation : Frequent, 3 to 4 times a week during the flowering and fruiting season, and 2 to 3 the rest of the year.
- Subscriber : it is important to pay with organic fertilizers, whether liquid or powder, to guarantee the correct development of the plant. You can use guano , manure , earthworm humus , or whatever is easier for you to get
- Soils : grows in deep, slightly acidic loam or clay loam soils (pH 5.5 to 6.5).
- Pruning – Pruning should consist of removing branches that are weak or dry, and trimming back those that overgrow.
Medicinal properties of soursop
In addition to being an ornamental and culinary plant, it is also used medicinally. Among other qualities, you should know that it is effective for:
- Depression and nervousness: take an infusion of leaves to lift your spirits and be more relaxed.
- Infections (of all kinds: fungal, bacterial and parasitic): you can drink an infusion of leaves or fruit juice.
- Its juice is diuretic.
- Its leaves in juice repel lice.
- Take care of your heart.
Did you know this extraordinary plant?