The red weevil, whose scientific name is Rhinchophorus ferrugineus , is a weevil (somewhat similar to a beetle) that, although in its adult phase it is not harmful to palm trees, the larvae are especially voracious, to the point that they can kill a copy in a matter of a few weeks.
Currently, we have several treatments against the red palm weevil, both natural and chemical. But what are they?
- 1 Natural treatments against the red palm weevil
- 2 Chemical treatments against the red palm weevil
Natural treatments against the red palm weevil
Not much is said about them, but the truth is that they are also there, they are available. From time to time some more appear, which is undoubtedly good news for those who prefer to treat their plants with natural products.
Against the red palm weevil, these can be used:
- Mushrooms for palm trees (from Phoemyc): this is a preparation of spores of the fungus Beauveria bassiana which, once they come into contact with the insect larvae, eliminates them. It has the peculiarity that, if an adult or a larva is infected with this fungus, it can infect others.
It is considered a preventive rather than a curative treatment, but it can be used if we have already seen some red weevils on our palm trees. You have to treat 5 times throughout the year.
- Badipast-P (from Protecta): this is a whitewash that, according to the packaging, can treat 4 palm trees for 6 months.
- Endotherapy with emamectin (from Paimed): this is a new product that is obtained by a microbial fermentation process, which acts on the larvae. You only have to do one treatment per year.
And this is not a product, but a trick: during the summer you can protect the palm trees by directing the hose or the watering can right in the center of the plants , at the birth of the new leaf. The water will enter inside the bud, drowning the larvae. But this can only be done, as I say, in summer, because that is when the plants are growing faster. If it were done in any other season, we could kill our palm trees.
Chemical treatments against the red palm weevil
When we speak of “chemical treatments” we are referring to insecticides composed of chemicals which are used to kill insects . They must be used always following the instructions specified on the package, since otherwise it could be more harmful than beneficial. Likewise, it is important to protect, at least, your hands with gloves such as kitchen gloves.
What insecticides are used against the red palm weevil? Basically two: Chlorpyrifos and Imidacloprid . You have to use one once, and the following month another, because this way we will prevent the insect from becoming resistant to one of the two.
We will start the treatment at the beginning of spring, and we will treat them for the last time in autumn, until the following year.