Today we are going to talk about a type of plant with medicinal properties. It is a plant native to tropical and subtropical America known by the name of gorse. Its scientific name is Baccharis trimera and it is a perennial deer used in traditional medicine to prevent and treat gastric and liver problems. Various studies show that the use of this plant can prevent gastric ulcers. It belongs to the Astaráceas family.
In this article we are going to describe all the characteristics and properties that the carqueja has.
Origin, habitat and uses of the carqueja
This herb stands out for having hispidulin. It is a substance that protects the liver and helps the body to purify itself by eliminating toxins from the body. It is a native plant of the swampy areas of the Amazon rainforest. Its area of distribution extends in the southeast of Brazil, although we can also find it in other countries such as Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay, Colombia, Chile and Mexico. Normally we can see it grow in places from sea level to 2.800 meters high.
The plants that belong to this family are rigorously studied thanks to the effects they have on health. The first time that carqueja was used for its medicinal effects was in the indigenous peoples of the Amazon rainforest. It was used for the treatment of common ailments and gastric or liver diseases. It was also found that it is used to treat diarrhea and fever.
At present, carqueja is used as an infusion or decoction of whole plants and dried to take full advantage of its diuretic and aphrodisiac properties. They are also used for gastrointestinal diseases, kidney pain, poor circulation, and even diabetes.
It is an evergreen herb that can reach between one and two meters in height. It produces small white and yellow flowers. Their horses are green in color and their shape is flattened. A curiosity about the morphology of this plant is that the stems have a fleshy consistency that makes them act with a role similar to that of the leaves.
Among the active principles that have been studied in more than 400 species belonging to the genus Baccharis are polyphenols and terpenoids. Among the flavonoids that the Baccharis trimera we can find the main secondary metabolites and those that have a greater therapeutic activity. We have previously mentioned hispidulin. It is one of the most important flavonoids that carqueja has.
To be able to acquire this medicinal plant you can go to stores and herbalists where they sell it in the form of capsules, powder of dried plant extracts, decoction, liquid or herbal tea. In a natural way we can find it in the fields and mountains that have a rather rainy and cool climate. We can also find it on the banks and margins of the roads as long as the soil has sufficient moisture and is fertile. Other species of this genus also popular for their medicinal use are Baccharis articulated, Baccharis trimedia and Baccharis curla. All these species share the same medicinal properties.
Medicinal properties of carqueja
Carqueja is a plant that is used within natural remedies thanks to its influence and effect on the body. We are going to analyze the medicinal properties one by one:
- Helps cleanse the body from the inside. It is a plant with diuretic properties that helps eliminate excess fluid retention.
- Decrease the weight. Although this weight does not really come from fat loss, it is useful to look more delegated. This occurs because it is very effectively cleansed from the body. If you combine the taking of carqueja infusions together or with a diet and exercise, you can promote fat loss.
- Treatment or against diabetes and cholesterol. Helps fight these diseases thanks to its high purifying properties. Control triglyceride levels.
- It is beneficial for the skin. Symptoms Often an infusion with this herb will help you with problems of dermatitis, dry skin, acne, rashes and blemishes on the face.
- Liver problems. One of the greatest benefits that has been studied in this plant is the action against liver diseases. For example, if you have biliary colic, cirrhosis or little bile secretion, this disease can be regulated with frequent taking of fusions.
- Kidneys. It can help the proper functioning of the kidneys thanks to its diuretic properties.
- Allergies and hives. Although these properties are not so well known, they can help by combining it with a quality diet to reduce the effects of allergies to certain foods.
- Helps eliminate intestinal parasites.
- It has antirheumatic, antispasmodic and antiseptic properties, and can be used externally.
Next we are going to take the necessary steps to make an infusion that serves to purify the body and lose weight. In this way, the liver is able to facilitate the natural elimination of toxins and accumulated fats. To do this we must do the following: use a tablespoon of carqueja for each liter of water used.
- We let the water and grass and add the plant. We let it boil for fifteen minutes and I must remove it from the heat.
- We rest the water for about five minutes covered with a rag.
- Once the water is warm to be consumed, we must strain it and drink between 2 and 3 cups a day, preferably on an empty stomach and before going to bed. It is a quite bitter infusion so it can be sweetened with Stevia or honey.
- To promote the effects of the infusion we must combine a good diet and some exercise to enhance the results.
You can use this infusion to wash the skin that has sores or any other wound. You can use an amount of 60 to 70 grams per liter of water in order to increase its effects.
As you can see, neither the properties of this plant are very beneficial and, therefore, it is the target of multiple studies. I hope that with this information you can learn more about the carqueja.