Are you curious to know which plants make up the botanical family Pinaceae? In general, they are trees that reach interesting heights to be able to grow them in gardens, and in fact, there are many species that we can see in those places.
If we talk about its growth rate, I would tell you that it is rather slow, although there are exceptions such as Aleppo pine. But no, this is not all I’m going to tell you about them.
What are the characteristics of the Pinaceae?
Our protagonists trees or, rarely, shrubs called conifers that are found in virtually the entire northern hemisphereexcept three or four genera that are in North Africa. They are very resistant; in fact, many of the species grow in mountainous regions, where frosts are the protagonists of all winters.
They can reach heights between 2 and 80 meters in heightand usually have a more or less pyramidal or conical cup. The leaves are simple, linear or needle-like, arranged in a spiral, and normally perennial (they last for several years in plants) although there are some species that are deciduous. They are monoecious, that is, there are male feet and female feet, and the fruit is the pineapple that contains small seeds.
What genres are included?
The family is made up of 10 genders, which are:
- Abies: they are the so-called firs, which are native to Asia, Europe and North America. They reach a height between 10 and 80 meters.
- cedarCedars are native to North Africa, the Middle East, and the Himalayas. They can reach heights between 25 and 50 meters.
- cathay: it is a genus with a single species (Cathaya argyrophylla) native to southern China.
- Keteleria: they are trees native to China, Vietnam, and Laos that reach a height of 10 to 50 meters.
- Larch: larches are native deciduous trees native to the cold temperate regions of the northern hemisphere. They reach a height of 20 to 45 meters.
- and sugar: it is a genus composed of a single species, Nothotsuga longibracteata, which is native to China. It reaches 30 meters in height.
- Picea: Spruces are trees that grow in the forests of the Northern Hemisphere, including the boreal ones. They reach a height of 20 to 60 meters. See file.
- Pinus: pines are native to the northern hemisphere, also found in some southern areas. They reach a height of 3 to 80 meters. See file.
- Pseudolarix: it is a genus composed of a species, the Pseudolarix amabilis, known as golden larch and is deciduous. It is native to eastern China, reaching a height of 30 to 40 meters.
- Tsuga: They are trees native to North America and East Asia that reach a height of 10 to 60 meters.
What uses do they have?
Although many reach very great heights, the Pinaceae are conifers of great ornamental value. Planting like isolated specimens, in groups or alignmentsThey are plants that will allow us to have a garden with a very rustic style.
Another interesting use is culinary. The seeds of these plants can be eaten without problems, thus satiating hunger. So you already have one more reason to cultivate one 😉.
The wood of many kinds, Pinus, Picea, Tsuga, among others, is widely used in construction, to produce paper, fence posts or telephones, furniture, among others.
What did you think of this topic?