Ginger is a medicinal plant that can be grown both outside and inside the home. Fast growing, it is also an ideal excuse to decorate any bright corner. Although you can get more or less grown specimens in nurseries, I encourage you to cultivate it from the beginning.
It will be much cheaper and, in addition, you will surely enjoy the experience a lot. Learn how to plant ginger root correctly .
What do I need to plant the ginger?
In order to be sure that in a few weeks we will be able to harvest the ginger, it is important that we have the following:
- Pots: They can be made of plastic or mud, but they must have holes for water drainage and be wide and deep enough for the root to fit well.
- Substratum: I recommend using the following mixture: 70% black peat + 30% perlite, washed river sand or similar.
- Watering can with water: to moisten the earth.
- Ginger root: you have to look to buy it in stores that sell organic products. In addition, it must be fine, that is, it does not have to be wrinkled or soft.
How to cultivate it?
For that, you have to follow this step by step:
- The first thing to do is soak the ginger root in warm water overnight.
- The next day, the pot is filled with substrate to a little less than half.
- The root is then placed with the shoot pointing upward, and filled in with more substrate.
- Finally, it is watered and placed in a warm place, with a minimum temperature of 10 degrees Celsius.
Thus, all that remains is to water it from time to time, preventing the soil from remaining dry for a long time. After 3-4 months we can start to harvest some small pieces. To do this, what we will do is remove a little substrate and cut the amount we need.