Bulbous plants are wonderful, because although they only bloom during a specific period of the year, they are easy to care for and maintain. In addition, some are very curious like the scadoxus. And it is that the inflorescences that they produce attract so much attention that it is not difficult to have a very special patio with them.
So if you want to know everything about the Scadoxus, then I will explain everything you need to know.
Origin and characteristics
Scadoxus are perennial bulbous plants native to Africa and the Arabian Peninsula. They reach a height between 30 and 60 centimeters. The leaves are large, up to 40cm, whole and simple, green in color. Towards spring it produces inflorescences composed of red, white, or orange flowers.
Due to its size, they can be grown without problems both in pots and in the gardenso we just have to decide where to put them. Let’s now see how to keep them healthy.
What are their cares?
If we dare to buy a copy, we must take care of it in the following way:
- Location: it must be kept outside, in full sun or in semi-shade.
- Pot: universal growing substrate mixed with perlite in equal parts.
- Garden: it is indifferent as long as it has good drainage, since it does not tolerate waterlogging.
- Irrigation: 2-3 times a week in summer, somewhat less the rest of the year.
- Subscriber: during the flowering season it must be paid with a fertilizer for bulbous plants following the indications specified on the product packaging.
- Bulb planting time: in autumn.
- Multiplication: by seeds and bulbs in spring.
- Rusticity: withstands cold and weak frosts down to -2ºC. If you live in an area where it is colder, you should protect yourself inside the home until the good weather returns.
What did you think of the Scadoxus?