Bergenia is a beautiful flower plant that is very easy to care for. Ideal to have on balconies, patios, terraces or gardens, it is one of those plant beings that will be a pleasure to have and enjoy, because its maintenance is quite simple.
However, it is not well known yet, so we hope to do our bit with this article so that little by little more people can have it in their home.
Origin and characteristics
Our protagonist is a perennial plant native to Asia that belongs to the botanical genus Bergenia. It is popularly known as winter hydrangea, winter begoña, winter cabbage or bergenia. It reaches a height of 30 to 45cm, with large, rounded and glossy leaves with a green or reddish wavy edge. The flowers, which sprout in winter and spring, are grouped in very dense clusters and can be white, red or pink.
Its growth rate is quite fast, so it will not be difficult to have a garden, patio or balcony exquisitely decorated with this beautiful plant. But we better see their care in detail so that nothing escapes us.
If you want to get a copy, we recommend that you provide the following care:
- Location: in semi-shadow. Its leaves are burned in the direct sun.
- Pot: universal growing substrate mixed with perlite in equal parts.
- Garden: it is indifferent as long as it has good drainage.
- Irrigation: moderate. During the warmer months of the year, Bergenia should be watered 2-3 times a week, while the rest will suffice one or a maximum of two a week.
- Subscriber: in spring and summer with a liquid fertilizer for flowering plants following the indications specified on the product packaging.
- Planting or transplanting time: in spring, after flowering.
- Rusticity: withstands cold and frost down to -7º, but it is convenient to protect it from hail.
What do you think?