So you would like to introduce yourself fully into the world of gardening, eh? You do well. Being in contact with plants on a daily basis is one of the better customer that you can have. However, the beginnings are often a bit complicated, and it is such a big world!
But you shouldn’t worry about anything. In Gardening On we are going to give you a few gardening tips for beginners that will be very useful to start with.
First: be very patient
You know what they say: “patience is the mother of science”, and in the case of plants, it is essential to be patient, since, although their growth can be accelerated a little by fertilizing them, the reality is that eventually the plants will reach their adult size… in due course. Neither sooner nor later.
Second: Respect the cycles of each plant
This can cost a lot at first, but as time goes by you will realize that each plant goes through a growing season, which usually coincides with spring and summer, another flowering season -spring, summer or autumn-, and another for rest – it is usually winter, but there are some that rest in summer. Observe it daily, and you will see how little by little it will be easier for you to know what season it is in.
Third: Acquire resistant plants
Unfortunately, not all plants grow in the same climates. When you are a beginner, it is very important to choose those that are resistant, that are rustic, since it will be those and not others that will allow you to enjoy gardening as soon as you start. For this, it is not necessary to do any previous research, but acquire those that are in the outdoor facilities of the nurseries that you have close to home.
Fourth: Decide what you want to do with the space
Before you get to work, you must decide what do you want to do with that land that you have available: A garden? A vegetable garden? A place where children can play? Depending on what you choose, you can include some decorative elements or others, such as a natural carpet of flowers (flowerbed), a set of tables and chairs under two trees that provide shade, or plant fruit trees and vegetables. .
Fifth: Fertilize your plants
Plants, like all living things, need to “eat,” that is, they need to ingest nutrients in order for them to grow. Sometimes it is thought that by putting a new substrate on them they will be able to develop well, but the truth is that this is not the case. In order for them to do so, it is important to fertilize them throughout their growing season using a suitable compost. For example:
- Cactus, succulent and caudiciform plants: use mineral fertilizers, either specific for cacti, or Nitrofoska or Osmocote, adding a small spoonful every 15 days.
- Acidophilic plants: The japanese maples, The camellias, rhododendrons, The gardenias, heather, etc. You must pay them with a specific fertilizer for this type of plants following the indications specified on the package.
- Flowering plants (perennials, annuals, perennials): you can use a universal fertilizer, or fertilizer for flowering plants following the instructions specified on the package.
- Other ornamental plants (trees, shrubs, vines): you can use mineral or organic fertilizers.
- Horticultural plants: Being for human consumption, you must use organic fertilizers, such as guano, worm castings or manure.
Sixth: Buy some tools
If you want to have a dream garden, you are going to need some things, which are:
- A rake: it will help you to level the ground, as well as to pile the dry leaves that you can later throw for the compost.
- Compost: to have quality natural compost.
- Lawn mowers: If you plan to have a lawn, you will have to cut it from time to time.
- Gloves: important, especially to do gardening work, such as pruning.
- Irrigation hose and sprinklers: so your plants can be watered every time you program it.
Seventh: Share your hobby
It is the most beautiful. Finding someone who shares your hobby is amazing. It allows you to learn from him, from his experience, at the same time that he learns from you. Therefore, even if you are shy – I am too -, leave shyness at home and sign up for meetings make gardening enthusiasts in your community. You will enjoy.
I hope these tips help you get off to a good start in this fascinating world.