It is becoming easier for us to acquire tropical or exotic fruits from those of us who live in places where the climate is too cold for the plants that produce them. In recent times there is specifically a fruit, the soursopwhich has a very pleasant acid taste and can be used to make desserts, ice creams, drinks or jams; And that is not to mention that it has medicinal properties that cannot be ignored and that we will now see.
But which tree produces it? And the most important, How is it grown?
Soursop tree characteristics
Well, the progenitor of this delicious fruit is a tree native to Peru, although it can be found throughout tropical America. It is an evergreen or deciduous plant depending on the climate, which grows to a height of 10 meters and cure scientific name is annona muricata. Its leaves are oblong-elliptical to oblongobovate, 6 to 12cm long by 2,5 to 5cm wide, and are green in color. The flowers are solitary, and appear along the stem. They are composed of 3 ovate sepals and 6 petals. They are yellow.
The fruit can weigh between 2 and 4 kgand has an elongated shape. The shell is glossy dark green in color, and is covered with thorns. The pulp is normally white, soft and juicy, with a sour taste. Inside are many black seeds.
How is it grown?
If you live in a warm climate, with mild temperatures throughout the year, and you want to have a soursop, take note of our advice:
- Location: outside, in full sun.
- Irrigation: frequent, 3 to 4 times a week during the flowering and fruiting season, and 2 to 3 the rest of the year.
- Subscriber: it is important to fertilize with organic fertilizers, whether liquid or powder, to guarantee the correct development of the plant. You can use guano, manure, earthworm humus, or whatever is easiest for you to get .
- Soils: grows in deep and slightly acidic loamy or clay-loam soils (pH 5,5 to 6,5).
- Pruning: pruning should consist of removing branches that are weak or dry, and trimming those that grow too long.
Medicinal properties of soursop
In addition to being an ornamental and culinary plant, it is also used as a medicinal plant. Among other qualities, you should know that it is effective for:
- Depression and nervousness: take an infusion of leaves to lift your spirits and be more relaxed.
- Infections (of all kinds: fungal, bacterial and parasitic): you can take an infusion of leaves or fruit juice.
- Its juice is diuretic.
- Its leaves in juice repel lice.
- Take care of your heart.
Did you know this extraordinary plant?