There are numerous tomato species that help improve the economy of crops. This is because these vegetables are used for many dishes and it is widely used in various cuisines. Today we are going to talk about one of the tomato varieties well known for its good taste. Its about Marmande tomato.
It is a variety with characteristics that make it quite popular among many agronomists. It began to develop in the Netherlands in the XNUMXst century and it has indeed become quite a unique and interesting species for cultivation. In this article we are going to tell you all the characteristics, cultivation and properties of the tomato in Marmande.
It is a type of tomato that ripens quite early. In just about 3 months after sowing, it can be harvested to eat. Cultivation began in these areas due to the fact that there were various retentions in the climatic conditions and a good quality of the soils. These tomatoes tolerate planting in the open field or although it can also be grown in greenhouses.
It usually has a height of the bushes that varies between 1 and 1.5 meters. The fruits of this plant are quite large and have a bright red color. Its meat is characterized by being very dense and having a small number of seeds. This is quite advantageous for those people who do not like to eat with so many seeds. It is a fruit with vegetable qualities that makes it ideal for raw use.
It also serves to be placed in any type of processing, such as the preservation or production of tomato juice. It is a variety that resists transport and storage very well for long periods of time. This makes it quite versatile so that it can be grown and transported when needed.
The advantage it has over other tomato varieties is that production can run continuously. Between the fact that it has a short maturation time and can be stored for a long time, it allows this tomato to be consumed and produced on a large scale.
Marmande tomato cultivation
In order to grow this species of tomato, you have to know some of its requirements first. The main thing is the quality of the soil. Although we are sowing in poor soils, it can have good performance if the rest of the variables are covered. Normally, what is intended when growing this variety of tomato is to produce it in large quantities. Thus, it is necessary to work and provide good conditions so that the tomato can develop well.
The Marmande tomato is a variety that prefers a lot of light and fertile soil. Taking these two variables into account, we know that the location must be in warm areas and exposed to direct sunlight. The best time to sow is at the beginning of March. For an improvement in the germination of the seedlings it is better to use a small container with dimensions of 10 × 10 centimeters.
The soil must be adequate to be able to make a special soil mixture adapted to the different peculiarities that may arise. The seedlings need to be watered regularly with a sprinkler mode and will last between 55 and 60 days. As soon as the seedlings have grown, it should be planted in the open ground.
Individual characteristics of Marmande tomato plants
We are going to list the following characteristics:
- This type of tomato It is usually transferred from when it is sown in a period of between 15 and 30 days. More experienced gardeners often use a little trick with great success. And it is that, if you have seedlings at the beginning of May and we have a warm climate, the harvest can be obtained a few weeks before. This serves to speed up the harvesting process.
- The distance to be placed between the different plants that we are going to sow is an average of 50 centimeters between rows and 40 centimeters between columns. One square meter can perfectly fit between 7 and 9 plants.
- It is not at all recommended to plant the Marmande tomato in areas where peppers, potatoes and aubergines have been planted first.
- As we have mentioned before, it is a plant that prefers a location in the sun. Thus, the best location is where it is sunny but sheltered from the wind.
- Before planting, we must dig the soil to be able to place a small amount of compost or manure to give it a supply of nutrients.
The care of this variety of tomato is quite simple. You just have to be watered regularly and protect it from frost. Responds well to organic fertilizers. If we are giving it the care it requires, it will only take between 1.5 and 2 months to bear the first fruits.
Advantages and disadvantages
There are many people who prefer to analyze the advantages that this variety of tomato can provide over others. There are many gardens where you can see this variety of tomatoes. There is usually a huge disadvantage against it. And it is that, if the bushes have a supercharging of nutrients, they will grow with enough force and it will be difficult to take care of them.
However, it is a small disadvantage for all the advantages it has:
- It is quite a tasty and attractive fruit in appearance.
- Because they can be transported and stored for a long time, they are suitable for large-scale trading.
- Harvests can be obtained fairly quickly.
- Tomatoes ripen at the same time as long as they bear fruit long enough.
- It is a variety quite immune to many of the common crop diseases. They are resistant to diseases such as increased immunity to fusarium.
- Only a few pesticides and insecticides should be used to have a good prevention and spread of most insects.
I hope that with this information you can learn more about the Marmande tomato variety.