Watermelon is one of the typical summer fruits. Normally, it is only consumed in that season of the year, although today there are ways to eat it throughout the year. In the market we usually find striped and smooth watermelons but, Do you know how many types of watermelon there are?
If you have wondered or are already curious and want to know the types of watermelons that exist, what they are like and even how many colors of watermelon there are, then we will talk about all this.
Watermelon: the favorite fruit in summer
Watermelon is also known as ‘pin’ in America. It is one of the best-known fruits worldwide and many succumb to it because of the texture and flavor it has. Native to Africa, is a tropical fruit that, at first, it was only cultivated on the banks of the river Nile. However, the truth is that now there are plantations in Spain, Japan, Greece, China, Turkey, the United States, Brazil, Egypt, Iran and Italy, which supply the entire world.
It is a herbaceous and annual plant that does not grow much from the ground, and on many occasions it becomes a climber. It branches a lot and has a fairly deep root, in addition to other secondaries that are being distributed. It needs medium care, since as long as it is given adequate humidity and watering and sun, it will grow without problem. What’s more, the yellow flowers available are of two types: male and female. They are given by the same plant but separately, in such a way that, once they are fertilized, the fruit begins to grow, an oblong and globose berry that can weigh between 2 and 20 kilos.
You should know that, genetically, there are two types of watermelons:
- Diploids. They are the watermelons that generate seeds, such as the smooth one, which has black seeds. You can also give them brown.
- Tiploids. As you may have guessed, they are the ones that do not have seeds. Actually, it is not that they do not have, but that those that do have are tender (unlike diploids) and of a white color. The rind of these types of watermelons is light green, and they usually have dark green stripes.
How many types of watermelon are there
Do you wonder how many types of watermelons are there in the world? Well we will tell you that the figure is quite high for the 2-3 that you can know. It is estimated that there are about 50 kinds of watermelons around the worldsome better known than others.
All of them would be included in the classification that we have mentioned before, of whether or not they have seeds.
Types of colored watermelons
Knowing that there are about 50 species, it is logical to think that there will be different colors of watermelons. And you would not go wrong astray. Specifically, we can distinguish two variations of types of colored watermelons, which are:
- By the color of the barkwhich can be very dark green, light green, yellow … But here you must also include the possibilities of the stripes, which can be green, gray or yellow.
- By the color of its flesh, we talk about the interior. The best known is the red watermelon, but the truth is that there are also yellow ones and even pink ones. As for the seeds, there is not much variety other than black or brown (because they are diploid); or white (because they are triploid).
The most popular watermelon varieties
There are many types of watermelon, so talking about fifty would be very boring. But we can briefly tell you about the best known or the most marketed. These are:
It is round in shape and has the light skin, with stripes that are dark green. It is well known because it is what they sell us as “striped” and the pulp is red with white seeds (which classifies it as seedless watermelon).
It can easily reach 15 kilos in weight and is sweet in taste.
This variety of watermelon is also striped, but its size is not as large as others, since it can weigh up to 3 kilos. Has a very sweet red pulpso much so that it is sugary and very few white seeds.
This stands out in the markets for the color of its pulp, which instead of being the typical red, is of a strong yellow color. The watermelon will weigh around five kilos and some speak of the Graciosa watermelon as ‘melon watermelon.
It is very sweet and has a fibrous texture. It is given health properties, such as improving the immune system or fighting diabetes and hypertension.
It is one of the best known, and of American origin. It weighs about 5 kilos, dark green in color. But the most striking thing about this type of watermelon is its pulp, which is neither red nor yellow, but pink.
Types of watermelon in Spain
If you are curious to know what the varieties of watermelons grown in SpainThe truth is that there are many for the “two” that we usually know and that we find in greengrocers and supermarkets.
- Sugar Baby. Round and dark green.
- Catalan Precocious. Round and dark green.
- Black Pearl. Round and dark green.
- Yellow Doll. Round and light green with stripes. It has yellow pulp.
- Rubin. Round and light green.
- Pileña. Round and dark green.
- Sayonara. Round and dark green.
- Sweet from America. Round and dark green.
- Imperial. Round and striped with light and dark green lines.
- Striped Klondike. Elongated and two shades of dark green.
- Prince charles Elongated with greyish green bark.
- Fairfax. Elongated and light green with dark green stripes.
- Congo. Elongated with a light green color and dark green stripes.
- Charleston Gray. Elongated and light green.
- Sweet Meat II WR. Elongated and gray with dark green stripes.
- Blacklee. Elongated and dark green.
- Queen of Hearts. Seedless, light green and rounded.
- Without. Light green and round.
- King of hearts. Seedless, it is dark green in color and round in shape.
- Fummy. Dark green with round watermelons. Without seeds.
Now that you know the types of watermelons, which one do you usually eat? And which one would you like to try? Let us know.