There are many times that stray cats can be introduced into our garden without prior notice. The presence of these data can not always be beneficial since they can break our plants, orchard, dig in the ground or defecate. In order not to use a repellent for cats that could harm your health, there are different plants cat repellants that can help scare them away without causing harm.
Therefore, we are going to dedicate this article to tell you some of the tips you need and some repellent plants for everyone that are effective.
Presence of cats in the garden
The first of all is to know the reason why cats can pass through our garden without prior notice. Although it should be noted that it is not always possible to know this cause, you can investigate a little about it to know the root of this. Cats are quite active animals and although they always move within a similar territory they can travel several kilometers of daily way to sniff, hunt prey and exercise. They tend to walk through a territory that they call emerged and feel more comfortable.
It is possible that these felines come to your house spontaneously or they have taken advantage of your garden to be able to breed. If there is a space available and enough space to raise the cat, you may think that it is a safe place for it. You may also be getting food from your garbage, hunting in your garden or orchard since there are birds or they consider your home part of their territory. Once they have urinated and sinned in this place, they can frequently continue to make sure that this place is theirs.
You can also use different ways of marking territory such as rubbing and scratching some areas.
Natural cat repellants
If stray cats end up in your garden frequently and begin to follow some guidelines or attack your plants, we are in trouble. It must be borne in mind that the simple presence of a piece of information in your garden cannot cause problems, so the situation must be carried out well. We are going to give some tips that you can follow to be able to drive away degrees naturally:
- Prevent them from eating from your garbage by closing the bags or placing it in closed containers. If the cat does not have a fixed power source, it may not return to this place.
- You can scare away mice and rats from your home with different home remedies to prevent cats from feeding on mice.
- If you are one of these people who like to feed wild birds, it is better that you do it in feeders located in higher areas. This is how they prevent these birds from looking for food on the ground and have been hunted by these cats.
- You can look in your garden for nests or shelters that it may be using for shelter.
- You can use homemade cat repellants to be able to scare them away without hurting them.
- Do a good cleaning with enzymatic products that eliminate the pheromones that these animals leave behind when they mark territory.
- If you live in a large city, you can contact the shelter animal collection service so that it is due to the animals that roam in your garden.
- Normally, if you live in a town, the municipalities are usually in charge of the colonies of stray cats and they can sterilize and control the population of these felines.
You can find unnatural cat repellants in some supermarkets that are made from synthetic formulations that are somewhat more unpleasant. They can also mimic the substance of the urine of certain predators so that these cats do not reach your garden. However, even if they are repellants for unnatural cats, they are not always effective.
Repellent plants and remedies for cats
We are going to tell some of the repellent remedies and plants for homemade dishes that serve to scare away these animals safely. It is best to combine the remedies that we are going to mention together with the advice that we have given previously. The first tip is to use citrus plants to scare away cats. One of the most common remedies that serve this purpose is to use citrus. You can take advantage of the peels of lemons, limes, wet, oranges and tangerines that are left over from your meals to place them in the pots together with your plants. This helps not only serve as a repellent for cats, but it is also an excellent natural compost.
It is advisable to cut citrus fruits in half and rub them on the walls, pots and areas where cats are frequently so that the smell can be impregnated and scare away this animal. It must be taken into account that the smell will not remain for a long time and, therefore, the process must be repeated each time it is required.
There are some excellent plant species for cats that can scare them away without harming them. Let’s look at some of the repellent plant species for data:
- Shrub «canine coleus«
Pepper is a somewhat more drastic and aggressive solution for the animal but it can be used as a last resort. Pepper powder can be used in strategic places in the garden. The result of using pepper is that it makes his nose itchy when smelling it and will lead to a series of annoying sneezes for him. After several episodes of sneezing, the feline associates these places as a comfortable place and will stop visiting it.
Things you should NOT do
As we have mentioned before, it is best to scare these animals away naturally without causing any harm. Let’s see what are the tips that you should not do for this:
- Use poison for expenses: The use of poison can be dangerous for places where there are other pets and children and can also be problematic for this animal. We remember that we do not want to kill him, if not to drive them out of our gardens.
- Use of toxic repellants: The same happens as in the previous case.
- Scare the animal: Most likely, by scaring the cat, it runs away in terror and ends up as an attacker. These animals are very aggressive and it is better not to turn against you since they can seriously injure you.
- Get him wet: wetting a cat, whether in winter or summer, is a matter of cruelty. Bathing causes a significant drop in the cat’s defenses and can promote poor health.
I hope that with this information you can learn more about the different natural cat repellants and their characteristics.