There are endless possibilities when it comes to decorating our home, plants being one of the most popular and striking decorative accessories. Although it is true that the green of the vegetables and their colorful flowers, if they have them, are usually really spectacular, the pots are often quite bland. To help you beautify them, We are going to comment on how to decorate a clay pot.
In order to give your home an original touch, and of your own creation as well, we are going to give you some ideas on how to decorate a clay pot. But don’t worry, We will also explain what paint is recommended to use for this task and how to waterproof a clay pot.
24 ideas on how to decorate a clay pot
When it comes to decorating pots, we can be as creative as we want. In the end, what matters is that we like it and/or that it looks good where we are going to place it, looking at what tones could go together with the rest of the environment, or even with the plant. It is a fun task that we can enjoy alone or with the whole family. Below we will give you a total of 24 ideas on how to decorate a clay pot to help you find some inspiration. Remember that you can do many more things apart from painting them, We will give you some recommendations.
- Aged look. We can achieve this by painting them “badly” or only halfway.
- Combine certain colors with gold or silver tones. For them to look good, it will depend on the environmental colors of the place where we are going to place them.
- Jogs or splashes. It is a fairly modern technique that is very fashionable even for walls.
- Paint the pots completely white and put glitter or gold letters, for example. Another good option is to paint over a black label with chalkboard paint. So we can write with chalk the name of the plant or anything else.
- Use different and bold colors. We can also paint only part of the pot, such as the base or the top.
- Boho or bohemian style, which is also very fashionable.
- We can not only decorate pots with paint, but also with cloth or napkins.
- Freehand applying different designs (polka dots, zigzag, vertical or horizontal stripes, spirals, etc.)
- Geometric patterns in different colors.
- Paint only half pot with diagonal stripes.
- Technique of “stencil” or templates.
- In gradient.
- Rustic style with worn effects. These usually look great. if we add a rope or rustic twine.
- Attractive and captivating geometric patterns.
- Also painting the inside of the pot can give it a more lively touch.
- Paint the pot a light color and draw shapes on top, such as hearts or flowers.
- Use two shades vertically, painting one half of the pot with one and the other with another. It doesn’t have to be symmetrical, asymmetrical designs can be very striking.
- Designs with white dots mosaic types.
- Stick stones, crystals, tiles or sea shells throughout the pot or complementing a design that we have painted.
- If we are good at crochet or crochet, we can also create a kind of cover for the pot.
- Stick moss in the pot, giving it a wild and natural touch.
- Create a kind of cover made of tree twigs joined by ropes.
- Catrina designs, the Mexican skulls.
- Thematic: Depending on the time of year we are in, we can paint different designs on the pots. For Halloween paint the pot orange with a face like a pumpkin; at Christmas red and white colors simulating Santa Claus or with snowflakes; for Easter with bunnies or painted egg shapes; etc.
What type of paint is used to paint clay pots?
Now that we have some ideas on how to decorate a clay pot, let’s explain what materials to use. In the event that the pot is new, it is very important to clean it before applying anything. To do this, we will pass a dry brush through its interior in order to remove traces of dirt and dust. In the event that this pot has already been used, it is best to wash it with plenty of water, detergent and then brush it well. Then you have to let it dry in the sun for a few hours.
When we already have a clean pot, we can make several interventions on its exterior. To improve color enhancement, it is best to apply a craftsman’s primer before you start painting. Now it’s time for the most creative part: Painting. Keep in mind that if we paint with colors that are not suitable for outdoor use, the pot will have to be waterproofed later. Later we will tell what material can be used for this task.
How to choose the clay pots?
On the other hand, if we have painted the pot with eternal water or acrylic enamel, It will not be necessary to apply another waterproof layer, since these paints are suitable for outdoor use.
How is a clay pot waterproofed?
When decorating a clay pot, it is important to bear in mind that those made of fiber cement or fired clay have porous surfaces. What does this mean? well what moisture is able to pass through the material, and we are not only talking about irrigation, but also about environmental humidity.
As time goes by, the pot exudes its saltpeter. As a consequence, smudges or stains appear that give it a rather old appearance. In order to prevent this from happening, it is essential to waterproof the interior of the pot. But what material should we use for it? There is an acrylic lacquer that creates a very high hardness film that serves to completely seal a surface. Is named “colorless shellac” and it is what we will need to waterproof our pots.
How to care for clay pots
With all the information about how to decorate a clay pot, we already have everything to start with. The best thing about this task is that we can paint the pots to our liking and to match the plant or the place where we will place them.