When we talk about green spaces it is easy to confuse landscaping and gardening. Both have characteristics in common but also have great differences. Gardening is responsible for caring for plants whose main objective is decoration. On the other hand, the landscape is a fundamental aspect of our history and culture. The human being has the need to return to nature and fight against pollution. Landscaping alters the gray appearance of the city and creates art using natural elements such as plants, topography, and waterways.
For this reason, we are going to dedicate this article to telling you what the main characteristics and differences of garden landscaping are.
what is landscaping
This activity aims to change the visible, psychological and physical character of a space, whether rural or urban. For this purpose, living elements such as plants and animals, inert elements such as land and watercourses, and human elements such as buildings and structures are used.
Treat the elements of life through gardening, planting plants to create a beautiful environment. Modify the terrain, create small hills, and even create small artificial wells and lakes. On the human side, we have structures like pillars, lamps, and buildings.
Landscaping is an art and science that requires observation, design skills, planning, imagination, and organization. It is our rational process of using nature to express ourselves and benefit ourselves by creating spaces that combat pollution and invite relaxation.
This art requires knowledge of sociology, ecology, agronomy, architecture and art. Keep in mind that some ecological elements take time to process the space.
Among the characteristics of landscaping we have:
- Its origins go back to the ecological and social conflicts caused by the Industrial Revolution and the recognition of the relationship between human beings and nature. However, since the Middle Ages, people built gardens, cultivated food, ornamental and medicinal plants to maintain castles, and even held contemplations and prayers in monasteries.
- For the monks of the monastery, each plant has a symbolic meaning. The lily represents the purity of virginity, the rose represents the love of God and the strawberry represents the Trinity. This symbolism will eventually give way to landscaping.
- Landscaping is a promising careeras it is essential in urban planning, park construction and landscaping.
- It is responsible for converting natural spaces into works of art.
- Landscaping is related to interior design, and sometimes these two professions work together to produce perfectly balanced and compatible results.
- Landscaping creates new trends by decorating spaces with components of natural and human elements.
- It uses anthropogenic components (soil arrangement), abiotic (atmospheric conditions, rocks, ice, water, wind) and biotic components.
- The goal is to use nature to harmonize the environment.
what is gardening
The cultivation and care of ornamental plants, mainly a very old art, has gained strength today. Gardening is a word used to refer to the techniques of being able to cultivate, care for and protect a garden, which means growing plants, flowers, trees and even vegetables. Gardening is an art and a science whose main objective is to be able to properly care for and nurture all plants that make up a place, which we call a garden. A science that deals with the proper growth and health of plants.
Gardening is a science that includes being able to properly plan and protect a garden. It includes a range of important techniques, from the proper preparation of the land for growing plants to the different maintenance tasks that must be carried out every day to keep plants alive and healthy. It is a scale activity, mainly using hands and some other small tools to get things done.
Among the main characteristics that can be observed in the field of horticulture, the following are mentioned:
- This is an art closely related to landscaping.
- It includes the cultivation, care and propagation of different types of plants and flowers.
- It is related to other types of materials with relief, whether natural or artificial.
- It can be done in a completely open place, or in a closed space, or even inside a house or building.
- Horticulture is also divided into several important branches: horticulture (growing vegetables), floristry (growing and propagating flowers), and arboriculture (growing fruit trees).
- It is an art that mainly pursues aesthetics.
- People who care for and practice gardening are called gardeners.
Differences between landscaping and gardening
The main difference between landscaping and landscaping is the end goal. A gardening company will be able to advise you and will have the means to make crops for decorative purposes as optimal as possible.
If what you are looking for is a garden with plants, whether it is shaded, rainy or dry, with a professional gardening company for everything you need. Install or plant grass, plants, trees and they will be able to advise you on the best space available, the budget and the necessary means depending on what you want and what the community can approve. On this basis, gardening companies will be able to plan their interventions, develop a garden calendar according to their needs and plan the best scenarios for the plants and trees available there.
Similarly, a professional landscaping company can be commissioned to tend a landscaped garden for this purpose.
The difference is here.
Landscaping has different intentions. Landscapers or landscaping companies do very clear intentional planning based on the purpose of the owner of the space. Landscape gardens are based on design, and we have already discussed that intention. The garden itself has a purpose and expresses fully realized ideas and concepts.
The use of plants and trees will always be based on the design, but it will also be used according to the geographical and meteorological characteristics of its location, location and its space. The landscaping firm will propose these design concepts, landscape architecture and aesthetic balance, as well as make recommendations for maintenance and development.
I hope that with this information you can learn more about the main differences between landscaping and gardening.