Did you know that there are many types of onions? One of the most interesting is the one known as slimy onion, because from it the so-called calçots are obtained next year.
So if you want to know what are its characteristics and growing needs, then you will discover all this and something more.
Table of Contents
- 1 Characteristics of the slimy onion
- 2 How is its cultivation?
Characteristics of the slimy onion
It is a variety of large, plump, white, spicy-flavored onion. It is also popularly known as white onion, chives for calçots, and slimy white onion.
It is produced by a plant that is very resistant to cold but with a somewhat slower growth than other varieties; In fact, to take advantage of the season more and better it is interesting to sow the seeds in a germinator (like this one they sell here!) in mid-winter to be able to harvest them in summer.
How is its cultivation?
In order to grow this type of onion you need to take the following into account:
- Location: it must be outside, in full sun.
- Orchard: the soil must be rich in organic matter, with good drainage.
- Pot: if it is deep, it can be mulched.
- Planting or transplanting time: when it reaches a size of approximately 10cm.
- Distance between floors: you have to leave a separation of about 30-40cm so that they can have an excellent development.
- Irrigation: moderate. It is not a plant that wants to have waterlogged roots, but it does not support drought too much.
- Subscriber: throughout the season it is interesting to pay it with ecological fertilizers, such as guano, manure or humus.
- Multiplication: by seeds and separation of bulbs in winter.
- Harvest: in summer.
- Rusticity: it resists cold and frost well, so you will not have to worry about this.