Potatoes, one of the most delicious vegetables. They are used to prepare many recipes around the world, and their cultivation is also very simple since you only have to wait 6 weeks to harvest them. But when and how are they planted?
If you want to get an excellent harvest, then we will tell you everything you need to know about planting potatoes .
- 1 Planting potatoes – Steps to follow
- 1.1 Planting in a pot
- 1.2 Planting in the garden
- 2 Maintenance and collection
Planting potatoes – Steps to follow
The first thing to do is wait for the frosts to pass , and decide if you will grow them in pots, in which case you will have to use those that are at least 60cm high, or in the garden. Let’s see how to proceed in each case:
sowing in a pot
- First, fill the pot with universal growing medium or compost.
- Next, place a potato to plant in the center and cover it with a little substrate.
- Finally, water.
planting in the garden
- Prepare the ground: weeds and stones must be removed, and it must be fertilized with organic fertilizers, such as goat manure or, if you can get it, chicken manure, spreading a 3-5cm layer and mixing it well.
- Now it’s time to make the grooves. The potatoes must be planted in rows leaving a distance of 60cm between them, and about 40cm between holes.
- Next, plant the seed potatoes by covering them with a little soil.
- And finally, start the drip irrigation system.
Maintenance and collection
Once the potatoes are planted, you have to take care of them so that they come to fruition. To do this, you will have to water them every time you see dry land (usually every 2 or 3 days), and fertilize them regularly with organic fertilizers , such as those mentioned above.
Two weeks before harvesting, you have to cut them above the root. This achieves a better flavor and excellent quality of these vegetables.