Fertilizer is very important for all plants , except for carnivorous ones, since they feed on the insects that fall into their traps. But the others need us to give them a regular supply of fertilizer so that they can grow in optimal conditions.
However, if it is the first time that you have one in your care, it is very likely that you have doubts about when to start fertilizing the plants , right? Well, we are going to solve those doubts so that, in this way, you can continue enjoying your pots and/or garden.
The plants must be fertilized throughout the growing season, which usually coincides with the spring and summer seasons. In a climate where there is neither autumn nor winter, it is usually recommended to stop fertilizing during the hottest and least rainy months, which is when there are species that lose their leaves, such as Delonix regia (Flamboyán) or Adansonia (Baobab) . .
Depending on the type of soil or substrate, as well as the type of plant it is, it will be more advisable to fertilize it with one or another fertilizer. To learn more about fertilizers, we must know that all plants need significant amounts of both macronutrients , which are nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P) and Potassium (F), as well as micronutrients such as calcium, sulfur, molybdenum, among many others.
The fertilizers that we find in nurseries and garden stores come in different presentation forms: sticks, granules, liquid or “powder”. In turn, they can be mineral, organic or synthetic . All of them can be very useful for plants, but if they are for human consumption, it is better to use organic ones because they are ecological as they are decomposing organic matter.
What type of fertilizer to use for each type of plant?
In general, we must use these fertilizers:
- Orchids : special liquid fertilizer for orchids.
- Potted plants :
- Trees and shrubs: if they are not for human consumption, any can be used.
- Bonsai: specific fertilizer for bonsai, or minerals.
- Fruit trees: organic fertilizers in liquid form.
- Palm trees: specific fertilizer for palm trees, and/or liquid organics.
- Indoor plants and flowers: pay with a universal fertilizer, or with liquid organics.
- Plants in the garden : to fertilize the plants and, by the way, also the soil, it is highly advisable to use organic “powder” fertilizers.
Thus, we will ensure that they receive the nutrients they need.