The lychee is the fruit of a tropical tree whose name is Litchi chinensis , ideal for gardens that enjoy a warm climate throughout the year. It is widely cultivated, not only for its delicious fruits, but also for its great ornamental value.
In addition, it gives very good shade, so you can have picnics or read a good book under its branches. If you suddenly get hungry, take some lychees, and while you eat them you will be strengthening your immune system. Shall we tell you how to grow it? 🙂
- 1 Characteristics of lychee
- 2 How do you take care of yourself?
- 3 Uses of lychee
The lychee, known as the Chinese plum, is an evergreen tree that reaches between 10 and 15 meters in height . The leaves are alternate, petiolate and long, up to 12cm long, shiny dark green on the upper side and glaucous on the underside. When they sprout, they are bronze in color.
Its flowers are very curious: they do not have petals, and appear grouped in axillary or terminal paniculate inflorescences that have many stems . They are greenish-white or yellowish. Once they are pollinated, the fruit begins to ripen, which will become an ovoid-shaped drupe up to 2.5cm in diameter. It is edible, with a sweet and somewhat acid taste.
How is it taken care of?
To have one or several specimens in the garden or orchard, the following must be taken into account:
- Location : outside, in full sun or semi-shade.
- Soil : fresh, rich in organic matter, and with good drainage. The pH must be between 6 and 7.
- Irrigation : frequent. It is necessary to prevent the earth from drying out, but also waterlogging.
- Subscriber : must be paid in spring and summer with organic fertilizers, making a monthly contribution. It is recommended to put a layer of about 2-5cm around the plant so that it can grow well.
- Planting time : in spring.
- Multiplication : the most reliable method is through approximation grafting, which consists of welding two branches.
- Rusticity : it does not support cold, only up to -1ºC if it is for a short time.
The lychee is used as an ornamental plant, but also for better health . Its nutritional composition per unit (25 grams) is as follows:
- Calories: 15kcal
- Carbohydrates: 3.50g
- Proteins: 0.20g
- Fat: 0.11g
- Fiber: 0.33g
- Vitamin C: 18mg
- Phosphorus: 7.75mg
- Potassium: 42.75mg
- Iron: 0.08mg
- Water: 20.44g
Thanks to this fruit, you will be able to have a stronger immune system , which will prevent you from having colds or flu. In addition, it has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties . It can also be used to treat gastritis and stomach pain .
You can consume it fresh, dried or preserved, in juices, or in soft drinks.
What did you think of this plant? Interesting, right?