So you’d like to immerse yourself in the world of gardening, huh? you do well Being in contact with plants on a daily basis is one of the best experiences you can have. However, beginnings are often a bit tricky, and it’s such a big world!
But you don’t have to worry about anything. In Jardinería On we are going to give you a few gardening tips for beginners that will be very useful to start with.
- 1 First: Be very patient
- 2 Second: Respect the cycles of each plant
- 3 Third: Acquire resistant plants
- 4 Room: Decide what you want to do with the space
- 5 Fifth: Fertilize your plants
- 6 Sixth: Buy some tools
- 7 Seventh: Share your hobby
First: be very patient
You know what they say: “patience is the mother of science”, and in the case of plants, it is essential to be patient, since, although their growth can be accelerated a little by fertilizing them, the reality is that in the end the Plants will reach their adult size… in due time. Neither sooner nor later.
Second: Respect the cycles of each plant
This can cost a lot at first, but as time goes by you will realize that each plant goes through a growing season, which usually coincides with spring and summer, another flowering season -spring, summer or autumn-, and another for rest -it is usually winter, but there are some that rest in summer-. Observe it daily, and you will see how little by little it will be easier for you to know what season it is in.
Third: Get hardy plants
Unfortunately, not all plants grow in the same climates. When you are a beginner, it is very important to choose those that are resistant, that are rustic, since it will be those and not others that will allow you to enjoy gardening as soon as you start. To do this, it is not necessary to do any previous research, but to acquire those that are in the outdoor facilities of the nurseries that you have close to home .
Fourth: Decide what you want to do with the space
Before starting to work, you must decide what you want to do with the land you have available : a garden? An orchard? A place where children can play? Depending on what you choose, you can include some decorative elements or others, such as a natural carpet of flowers (bed), a set of tables and chairs under two trees that give it shade, or planting fruit trees and vegetables. .
Fifth: Fertilize your plants
Plants, like all living things, need to “eat”, that is, they need to take in nutrients so that they can grow. Sometimes it is thought that by putting a new substrate on them they will be able to develop well, but the truth is that this is not the case. In order for them to do so, it is important to fertilize them throughout their growing season using a suitable fertilizer. For example:
- Cacti, succulent and caudiciform plants : use mineral fertilizers, either specific for cacti, or Nitrofoska or Osmocote, adding a small spoonful every 15 days.
- Acid-loving plants : Japanese maples , camellias , rhododendrons , gardenias , heather , etc. You must pay them with a specific fertilizer for this type of plants, following the instructions specified on the package.
- Flower plants (perennials, annuals, perennials) : you can use a universal fertilizer, or fertilizer for flower plants following the instructions specified on the container.
- Other ornamental plants (trees, shrubs, climbers) : you can use mineral or organic fertilizers.
- Horticultural plants : being for human consumption, you must use organic fertilizers, such as guano, earthworm humus or manure.
Sixth: Buy some tools
If you want to have a dream garden, you are going to need a few things, which are:
- A rake : it will serve to level the ground, as well as to pile up the dry leaves that you can later throw for the compost .
- Composter : to have quality natural fertilizer.
- Lawnmower : If you plan to have a lawn, you will have to mow it from time to time.
- Gloves : important, especially when doing garden work, such as pruning.
- Irrigation hose and sprinklers : so your plants can be watered every time you program it.
Seventh: Share your hobby
It is the most beautiful. Finding someone who shares your hobby is amazing. It allows you to learn from him, from his experience, at the same time that he learns from you. Therefore, even if you are shy -I am too-, leave your shyness at home and join the meetings that make gardeners in your community. you will enjoy
I hope these tips will help you get off to a good start in this fascinating world.