If you have decided to grow potatoes or potatoes in your field, orchard or garden, surely you will be informing yourself as much as possible to do your best and achieve a successful crop. If so, or you are just curious about the world of crops, you have come to the best place.
In this practical guide you will find the answer to when to plant potatoes , as well as some tips to keep in mind to find the best time for the area and also some indications on when to harvest them.
When to sow potatoes or potatoes – the best time
The time to plant potatoes is usually more or less the same throughout the world, always at the beginning of spring , around the months of March and April. However, as with everything we grow, the best time to sow depends largely on the climate of each place, so the answer may vary a bit.
Thus, in warm areas , with mild winters, potatoes can be sown in the last weeks of winter , while in very cold or frosty places this will be impossible and it will be necessary to wait for the heat to begin. Likewise, in temperate places, potatoes can also be planted at the end of summer , while in places with extreme climates this will be impossible because it will be too hot or the coolness will already have begun.
When to plant potatoes – tips for choosing the season
To finish fine-tuning which season is the best to plant potatoes in your area, we recommend keeping these key points in mind:
- This plant needs cool temperatures during the process of forming its tubers. The optimum is between 15 ° C and 25 ° C of temperature.
- Even so, this tuber is very sensitive to frost, so it should not be exposed to them.
- It is necessary that at the time you decide to plant potatoes in your field, the soil is at a temperature of 15 ºC or higher, in this way you will ensure that the plant can sprout and grow well.
- The formation of the tubers begins between 1 and 2 months after planting the potatoes, something that is more adjusted to one time or another depending on the type of potato that has been planted. For this reason, we recommend that you inform yourself well in the place where you acquire the tubers for planting, since a professional who knows the variety will be able to give you more exact indications for the climate of the place where you grow taking into account the variety of potato.
On what date is the potato planted? – months
These are the indicative dates for sowing potatoes taking into account the type of planting, because if you choose to sow early or late, the month changes.
- Early sowing: it is done in winter, that is, in December and January in the Northern Hemisphere and in June and July in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Semi-early sowing: this is also done in winter, but in the months between January and February in the Northern Hemisphere and in the months of July and August in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Mid-late sowing: this other type of potato sowing occurs in spring, so it is done in the months of April and May in the Northern Hemisphere and in the months of October and November in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Late sowing : this last sowing occurs in summer, which is in August in the Northern Hemisphere but in February in the Southern Hemisphere.
The most common potato sowing seasons around the world are spring or mid-late sowing and winter or mid-early sowing. The early and late sowings are for more temperate climates, in which the temperature of the year is almost the same all year round and, therefore, you can sow at any time, including these less common times in the rest of the world. Knowing this calendar to sow potatoes , you can already know better in which month it is convenient for you to do it in your area.