Monstera deliciosa, also called Adam’s rib, ceriman or skeleton plant , is a species of the genus Philodendron very popular in interior decoration thanks to its beautiful and large leaves, which seem to simulate a rib. The fruit of the Adam’s rib plant can be consumed after approximately one year of maturation, being elongated and of considerable size, although it is very important to make sure that it is 100% ripe, or it can be harmful and harmful.
If you want to learn everything about this plant, join us in this article in which we offer you a practical guide to caring for the Adam’s rib plant or Monstera deliciosa .
Caring for the Adam’s rib plant or Monstera deliciosa
This lush tropical plant, native to South America, is one of the so-called hardy indoor plants , as it requires little care and is therefore suitable for beginners. Let’s see what your needs are:
Adam’s rib, as a tropical plant, does not withstand very low temperatures. It can withstand cold seasons of short duration and intensity, but temperatures below 0 ºC kill the plant.
Watering the Monstera deliciosa
The Monstera deliciosa does not need large amounts of irrigation, since in its natural habitat it tends to be sheltered. Usually a single weekly watering will be necessary in cold months, and up to two in warm ones, especially in very dry or hot environments. It is important to let the soil drain properly after each watering, making sure that there is no puddled or accumulated water on the plate or in the pot.
Light and location
This is one of the indoor plants that need little light , which means that indoors, it will be enough to place it in a bright room. For this reason and its appearance it is one of the most used plants to decorate interiors. Outdoors, on the other hand, it is necessary to place the Monstera deliciosa in the shade, since it does not tolerate direct exposure to the sun for many hours. In the same way, it is important to place it away from heat sources or air conditioners, since they would dry it excessively.
Pruning the Adam’s Rib plant
Pruning of the Monstera deliciosa plant is usually done to prevent it from overgrowing and taking up too much space, especially indoors. What should be done is, with properly sterilized scissors, pinch the developing stem to reduce its height. Also, the cut stem can be used for reproduction.
Adam’s rib plant cuttings
Multiplying the delicious Mosntera by cuttings is very easy thanks to the aerial roots that the plant creates. These are very resistant and withstand both a wide range of temperatures and low humidity. To cut Adam’s rib, simply follow these steps:
- Cut a stem below the point where the plant has created its aerial roots. It is important that the cutting has at least one good-sized leaf.
- Prepare a pot with a light substrate, like the one we usually use for seedlings based on coconut fiber and worm castings .
- Plant up to two cuttings per pot together, making sure to bury their roots well in the substrate.
- Water after planting the cuttings and leave the pot in a bright room where it does not receive direct sunlight.
Why does my Adam’s rib plant have yellow leaves
There are two possible causes of yellow leaves on the Adam’s rib plant :
- If the leaves turn completely yellow, it means that you are overwatering your plant . In these cases, in addition, the first yellow leaves usually appear in the lower part of the plant. You must reduce the irrigation doses, letting the substrate dry and watering less from there, until you notice that the plant recovers a healthier green tone.
- If, on the other hand, the leaves show only small yellow spots, which turn brown later, it does not mean that you are watering too much, but that the ambient humidity is very low or that the sun hits it too directly and / or for many hours . In this case, move the plant to a more suitable location and spray some water on the plant’s leaves periodically to increase the humidity around the plant.
Is the Adam’s rib plant poisonous?
Indeed, Monstera deliciosa is toxic due to its high content of oxalic acid , which is also present in fruits that have not finished ripening. However, this plant is only poisonous if ingested and nothing happens by touching it or being near it.
With this in mind, it is not at all dangerous for adults, but it can be dangerous for small children or pets , as they could nibble on it out of curiosity or mistake. If you have children or pets at home, place your pot somewhere they cannot reach to avoid accidents and try not to leave them alone in the place where the plant is. In case you know or suspect that they have ingested a piece of the plant, contact your doctor or veterinarian and take them to the consultation.