The Kerriodoxa elegans is a palm tree that, as its name suggests, is very elegant , but it is also very curious, so much so that it is known as the White Elephant Palm, which translated into Spanish is “White Elephant Palm”.
Although it is native to Thailand, where the climate is tropical, it is a great plant for warm gardens and, of course, also indoors. Let’s meet her .
- 1 Origin and characteristics of Kerriodoxa elegans
- 2 What are your cares?
Origin and characteristics of Kerriodoxa elegans
Our protagonist is an endemic palm tree from the west coast of the middle peninsula of Thailand, where it lives between 100 and 300 meters above sea level. It reaches a height of 5 meters, with 2 meter wide fan-shaped leaves that are a mixture of dark green and white.
As it does not have any thorns, it is a really interesting plant to grow in any garden where there are no frosts since, even if there are children or pets, they will have nothing to fear. In the rest of the world we can plant it in a pot and enjoy it inside the home.
What are your cares?
If you want to get a copy, we recommend you provide the following care:
- Climate : tropical or subtropical without frost.
- Location :
- Outside: in semi-shade.
- Indoors: in a room with plenty of natural light.
- Irrigation : every 2-3 days in summer, and every 5-6 days the rest of the year.
- Fertilizer : from early spring to late summer or early autumn with a specific fertilizer for palm trees following the instructions specified on the product packaging.
- Planting or transplanting time : in spring. In the case of having it in a pot, it must be transplanted every two years.
- Earth :
- Garden: it has to be fertile, with good drainage.
- Pot: use universal growing medium mixed with 30% perlite.
- Multiplication : by seeds in spring. Sow in a resealable plastic bag filled with vermiculite moistened with water. They will germinate in 1-2 months at about 20-25 degrees.
What do you think of this palm tree?